Academic Success Center
The Academic Success Center (ASC) is an indispensable resource for students. In the ASC students have access to a variety of academic support services and courses. Instructors use innovative instructional methods and personal attention to assist students. The ASC contains two fully equipped service areas:
The ASC operates on a "walk-in" basis and can be used by anyone carrying at least one credit at Southwest Tech.
Individualized tutoring may be obtained by walking into the ASC and asking an instructor for assistance. Students complete registration forms on the first visit. Each time students visit, they sign in and sign out on a registration computer.
Students may schedule themselves for instruction at convenient times for assistance with course work or may walk in any time for quiet study. For longer periods of assistance (for example, proofreading and long projects), appointments are recommended but not required.
Small group instruction is also available in the ASC. The center can be a place to meet with a study group where an instructor is available to answer questions.
Computer-aided instruction is an option for students who desire to enroll in review courses to prepare for more advanced program courses.
ASC staff is available at the request of program instructors to deliver topic-specific review sessions. Students may take tests in the ASC at the request of program instructors.
- Building 100 in Room 107
- ASC phone number 1.800.362.3322 ext. 2185
Hours for ASC
- Monday and Thursday, 7:30 to 4:00
- Tuesday and Wednesday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The Academic Success Center operates on a walk-in basis. Some students are scheduled in the Academic Success Center for classes.
The Math/Science Staff can help you with…
- General Education math courses
- General Education science courses
- Other math and science oriented courses (Accounting, Business Math, etc.)
- Different instructors have different areas of expertise. You may have to see a particular instructor for help with a particular course.
The Reading/Writing Staff can help you with…
- General Education communication courses
- General Education social science courses
- Other courses with a communication component
- Study skills and learning style issues
- Reading strategies
- Marlene Klein, ASC Lead Instructor 608.822.2630
- Brenda Schwarzmann, Instructor 608.822.2619
- Lena Robinson, Lab Assistant 608.822.2617
Math Science Staff
Academic Success Center Mission Statement
The Academic Success Center at Southwest Wisconsin Technical College is committed to excellence in education. In support of the college-wide assessment plan, instructors challenge and assist all students to attain academic skills, personal enrichment, and commitment to lifelong learning.
The activities of the Academic Success Center are governed by the following purposes:
- Support students in program courses to enhance retention.
- Prepare students to enter programs and courses to increase enrollment.
- Assist students to increase academic skills for personal satisfaction and/or to attain a high school credential.