Act Professionally. Individuals who act professionally recognize an obligation to conform to the technical and ethical standards of their chosen career. Among the skills and attitudes of acting professionally are
- Taking responsibility for one’s actions.
- Conforming to the technical standards of a profession.
- Conforming to the ethical standards of a profession.
- Practicing morally responsible behavior.
- Taking responsibility for staying up-to-date.
- Maintaining confidentiality.
- Exhibiting respect for people and property.
- Exhibiting a sense of global awareness.
- Displaying appearance appropriate for work environment.
Communicate Clearly. Individuals who communicate clearly can apply appropriate writing, speaking, and listening skills to precisely convey information, ideas, and opinions. Among the skills and attitudes essential to communicating clearly are
- Speaking clearly so others can understand.
- Writing with clarity so others can understand.
- Selecting appropriate means to convey a message.
- Asking questions for clarification.
- Participating in discussions and group presentations.
- Interpreting nonverbal communications.
- Using active listening skills.
- Applying standards of spelling, English grammar, and punctuation.
Value Learning. Individuals who value learning maintain acquired knowledge and skills, acquire new knowledge and skills quickly, and adapt to technological and workplace changes. Among skills and attitudes essential to valuing effective learning are
- Assuming responsibility for lifelong learning.
- Identifying one’s learning needs.
- Accessing appropriate resources for learning.
- Applying effective learning processes.
- Helping others to learn effectively.
Work Productively. Individuals who work productively apply effective work habits and attitudes within a work setting. Among the skills and attitudes associated with working productively are
- Attending regularly and on time.
- Exhibiting organizational skills.
- Locating resources for problem solving.
- Displaying productive work ethic.
- Maintaining necessary knowledge and skills.
- Using effective/efficient processes.
- Using appropriate tools/technology.
- Showing self-direction in starting tasks.
- Demonstrating reliability.
- Following directions.
- Completing required tasks on time.
Work Cooperatively. Individuals who work cooperatively can work with others to complete tasks, solve problems, resolve conflicts, provide information, and offer support. Among skills and attitudes essential to working cooperatively are
- Demonstrating respect for self and others.
- Contributing to a group activity with ideas, suggestions, and effort.
- Completing one’s share of tasks necessary to finish a group project.
- Maintaining a safe and healthy work environment for self/group.
- Setting goals/standards/limits for self/group.
- Displaying effective interpersonal skills.
- Resolving conflicts in a constructive manner.
- Seeking help when needed.
- Demonstrating ability to work with a diverse population.
Solve Problems. Individuals who solve problems can use all elements of problem solving strategies to generate realistic, practical, and workable solutions. Among skills and attitudes essential for solving problems are
- Using critical/creative thinking skills.
- Applying problem solving steps.
- Demonstrating open-mindedness.
- Evaluating alternatives when choosing a solution.
- Implementing solutions appropriately.
- Using research to solve problems.
- Using appropriate mathematical calculations.