Learn More >
This is a collaborative program between Southwest Tech and Lakeshore Technical College
The Pharmacy Technician program trains individuals for the roles of supportive personnel for hospital and community pharmacies. Pharmacy technicians provide assistance to pharmacists in a variety of technical tasks involving the packaging, distribution, compounding, labeling, and recording of drugs. Pharmacy courses are broadcast from Lakeshore Technical College to Southwest Tech via interactive television. Southwest Tech students take the general education and support courses through Southwest Tech. All lab and clinical experience hours are assigned within the Southwest Tech district.
- Community pharmacies
- Home IVs
- Nursing home pharmacies
- Hospital pharmacies
Is This Occupation for You?
Students entering the program should:
- Have good communication skills.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Be organized.
- Be interested in and enjoy math and science
Helpful Academic Background
- High school algebra
- Technical writing
- Applied math
- Applied biology.
At the completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Package and label drugs for prescription dispensing.
- Prepare and deliver unit dose drugs to the nursing services of hospitals or nursing homes.
- Prepare parenteral admixtures under aseptic and sterile conditions.
- Receive and inventory drug shipments.
- Maintain records, including patient profiles.
- Compound solutions, ointments, lotions, suppositories, and other medications.
- Comprehend and utilize medical and drug terminology common to the pharmaceutical environment.
- Recognize and apply the knowledge of ethical as well as legal implications of their actions as it relates to themselves, the pharmacist, and the pharmacy.
- Provide services for the pharmacy.
- Technical diploma, requiring a minimum of one year to complete.
- Day classes.
- Financial aid available.
- Classes start in August.
- Students must receive a C or better in all required classes and maintain a 2.0 GPA to progress in the program.
Program Admission Requirements
- High school graduation or equivalency.
- Complete an application form and send to Lakeshore Technical College(LTC).
- Pay $30 nonrefundable application fee
- Interview with an LTC counselor via telephone.
- Send high school and post-secondary transcripts to LTC.
- Related Links
- Minimum reading Accuplacer score of 70 or higher or equivalent
- Minimum writing Accuplacer score of 88 or higher or equivalent
- Minimum numerical Accuplacer score of 79 or higher or equivalent
- Complete a physical exam, documentation of recent two-step TB skin test, tetanus, and meet health requirements as approved by the College Health Educator. Students are responsible for ALL costs associated with meeting these requirements. PLEASE NOTE: Hepatitis B vaccination is highly recommended.
Please contact Student Services at 800.362.3322, Ext. 2354, or email email@example.com for current fee information.
A Program Fee list is provided (please note the costs are approximate and based on the current academic year).
Print This Page | Request More Info