Learn More >
Southwest Tech's Cosmetology program prepares graduates for licensing as a Cosmetology Practitioner (hair designer).
Students enrolled in Cosmetology will follow the four-semester curriculum and achieve the “Program Outcomes” listed on this page. Nail Technician/Manicurist classes may also be taken separately.
To graduate from this program and be eligible to take the state licensing examination, each student must
- receive a passing grade of C in all program courses,
- complete a minimum of 1800 theory and practical hours of training, and
- successfully meet all Southwest Tech program requirements.
This program prepares graduates for licensing as a Cosmetology Practitioner (hair designer) and, if all Nail Technician courses are taken, a Nail Technician (manicurist). Students enrolled in the Cosmetology program who also complete the Nail Technician Certificate will only need to take one State licensing exam to be certified in both professional areas.
Helpful Academic Background
At the completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Conduct professional consultations/analysis
- Prepare hair and scalp for services
- Perform basic nail technology services
- Complete hair cut services
- Perform barbering techniques
- Provide permanent chemical restructuring services
- Create hair styling designs
- Apply hair color using various techniques
- Conduct skin care services
- Demonstrate professional ethics
- Follow safety and sanitation
- Demonstrate salon management skills
- Follow state rules and regulations
- Use effective interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate product knowledge
- Technical diploma, requiring one year or more to complete.
- Financial aid available.
- Special equipment and uniforms required.
- Opportunities to attend professional salon, beauty, and fashion shows.
Program Admission Requirements
- Complete required assessment testing.
- Complete the application form.
- Interview with counselor.
- Pay a $30 nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit high school and any post-secondary transcripts.
- Students may re-apply to be admitted to a program for which they initially do not meet the Student Academic Achievement Plan (SAAP) criteria after they follow the additional courses and alternate program sequence prescibed for them.
- Cosmetology Instructor
- Cosmetology Manager
- Nail Tech/Manicurist
- Advanced Coloring
- Advanced Cutting & Long Hair Styles
- Advanced Nail Design
- Computerizing Your Salon
Please contact Student Services at 800.362.3322, Ext. 2354, or email email@example.com for current fee information.
A Program Fee list is provided (please note the costs are approximate and based on the current academic year).
Print This Page | Request More Info