Esthetician (Spa Services)
Learn More >
If you have an interest in health, fitness, or beauty, this is your opportunity to enter a career that is ready for explosive growth.
Many day spas, beauty salons, resorts, fitness centers, hotels, and cruise ships offer skin care services. Those in the cosmetic industry will profit from this training and licensing as well.
Students study history of Esthetics and professional image. They study consultation and skin analysis, facial and body treatments, anatomy and physiology, histology of the skin, effects of aging, skin disorders and diseases, Swedish massage, make-up techniques, and color analysis. Students use machine facials and study Wisconsin laws, safety, and sanitation. They discover the importance of a business plan, customer service and retail sales.
To graduate from this program and be eligible to take the Wisconsin licensing examination, each student must
- Receive a passing grade in all program courses,
- Complete a minimum of 450 theory and practical hours of training.
- Successfully meet all Southwest Tech program requirements.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the State Board Examination to become licensed estheticians in Wisconsin.
Opportunities for employment exist in many service industries including:
- Skin Care Instructor.
- Skin Care Specialist/Esthetician in a salon or spa.
- Makeup Consultant.
- Sales and Marketing of skin care products, treatments, and cosmetics.
- Pre- and Postoperative Patient Care in conjunction with plastic surgeons and dermatologists.
- Owner and/or Operator of a health/day spa.
Is This Occupation for You?
Students entering the Esthetician Program should:
- Enjoy working closely with the public.
- Be friendly, outgoing, concerned for other people, and creative.
- Have good communication skills.
- Work well with others.
Helpful Academic Background
- Chemistry and biology courses.
At the completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Perform facial treatments.
- Demonstrate machine facials.
- Perform make-up applications.
- Perform spa body treatments.
- Perform hair removal techniques on face and body.
- Practice spa management skills.
- Follow state rules and regulations using safety and sanitation.
- Use reading, writing and speaking skills.
- Apply general science concepts.
- Technical certificate, requiring a minimum of of one year to complete.
- Esthetician students must achieve a grade of C or better in each of the program courses to be eligible to progress from Semester I to Semester 2. Students must successfully complete the program to be eligible to take the state licensing examination.
Program Admission Requirements
- Complete required assessment testing.
- Complete the application form.
- Pay a $30 nonrefundable application fee.
- Interview with counselor.
- Submit high school and any post-secondary transcripts.
- Students may re-apply to be admitted to a program for which they initially do not meet the Student Academic Achievement Plan (SAAP) criteria after they follow the additional courses and alternate program sequence prescibed for them.
Please contact Student Services at 800.362.3322, Ext. 2354, or email email@example.com for current fee information.
A Program Fee list is provided (please note the costs are approximate and based on the current academic year).
Print This Page | Request More Info