The Southwest Tech Dairy Goat Herd Management Certificate is a non-degree certificate that includes the following components:
- 11 online courses
- A two-day annual Dairy Goat Academy providing hands-on training
- 120-hour mentorship program
An experienced producer or novice goat farmer can enroll in the certificate to fine tune their farm management skills and gain the knowledge to support a full-time commercial dairy goat operation. A student may choose to take just one course or the whole certificate. The courses average 5 hours in length and can be taken anywhere! The student will gain skills needed to begin, maintain, manage, and profit from a commercial dairy goat operation. The program includes presentations from speakers of expertise offering their knowledge and experiences in the commercial goat industry.
- Speakers of Expertise offering advice and knowledge
- Courses completely online
- Hands on academy and mentorship program
Earn a non-degree certificate in dairy goat herd management to develop your management skills to own and operate a dairy goat operation.
Courses – no application required!
- Dairy Goat-Introduction to the Industry
- Dairy Goat-Writing a Business Plan For Your Operation
- Dairy Goat-Farm Records & Financial Management
- Dairy Goat-Milking Facilities & Housing
- Dairy Goat-Kid Management
- Dairy Goat-Herd Health
- Dairy Goat-Nutrition
- Dairy Goat-Genetics & Selection
- Dairy Goat-Reproduction & Breeding Program
- Dairy Goat-Production Records & Analysis
- Dairy Goat-Business Promotion & Marketing
120 Hour On-Farm Mentorship Program
Our mentorship program will begin spring 2018 with 2 courses offered per semester (spring, summer, and fall). This is the third component of our certificate program and students have 3 years to complete the certificate, with the 11 online courses, attendance at one of our 2 day Dairy Goat Academy’s as well as all 6 mentorship courses (totaling 120 hours). This mentorship can be taken anywhere in the country thanks to a partnership with ADGA.
- 40 Hours - Kidding Season split between 2 farms
- 10 Hours - Breeding Season
- 24 Hours - Milking Only
- 23 Hours - Student Choice
- 23 Hours - General Chores
Instructor: Clare Heberlein
Clare and her husband Jason and their growing family own and operate a commercial dairy goat operation outside of Fennimore, Wisconsin. The Heberleins milk 300 dairy goats in their custom made facilities since 2010. Clare has grown up with the goat industry. She began raising her herd of show Alpine does at nine years old. She still maintains that same show herd of goats and manages the herd health needs of their commercial operation. Clare and Jason have a passion for goats and the industry and can often be found promoting the goat in whatever way possible.