You are required to meet certain criteria in order to earn a degree, diploma or certificate from Southwest Tech. You must have:
- Fulfilled at least 25 percent of your program credit requirements while enrolled at Southwest Tech.
- Performed to an acceptable level by maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. Some programs have a higher standard, requiring students to earn no lower than a "C" grade in every course.
- Met all financial obligations including childcare bills, library charges, Payments/Billing Office bills (tuition), bookstore charges, and parts charges. Failure to pay these bills will put a hold on your transcript and diploma.
Honors: Students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above at graduation may wear and keep a high honor cord. Cumulative GPA is not rounded in determining eligibility (e.g. 3.49 is not rounded to 3.5). For two-year program students, GPA is determined by using all program-required coursework completed prior to the final term. For one-year program students, GPA is determined by using all completed program-required coursework plus grade approximations for final term program-required courses.
Associate Degree Hood: You will receive a degree hood from your instructor before the ceremony to wear over your graduation gown. The stole needs to be returned to the reception desk or Room 1709 after the ceremony to avoid a $25 charge.
Phi Theta Kappa: Members of Phi Theta Kappa wear a gold stole with their graduation gowns. Stoles are provided for the ceremony and need to be returned to the reception desk after the ceremony to avoid a $25 charge. If you would like to purchase a stole, you may go to the Phi Theta Kappa Online Store or call 800.946.9996. If you have any questions about Phi Theta Kappa, please contact Lori Garvey.
Fall Graduation Ceremony Information:
Friday, December 15, 2017
Fred Lenz Conference Center (Building 300)
Information for December Graduates
Spring Graduation Ceremony Information:
- Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Ag/Auto Center (Building 1700), Auto Collision Bay (side closest to Hwy. 18)
- The ceremony will last approximately one hour
- Guests may arrive 30 minutes prior to the ceremony for the division they are attending.
- Open seating: tickets will not be required
- We generally expect to accommodate approximately five guests per graduate
- A celebratory reception for graduates, guests and Southwest Tech staff will follow each ceremony in the cafeteria
Additional Important Information
Information for Spring Graduates
If you or your guests require a special accommodation, you should contact 608.822.2750 at least two (2) weeks before the graduation ceremony.
Typically, program graduation times are based on divisions, as noted below. We reserve the right to switch programs based on available space. Final decisions will be published.
Graduation Photograpghy Information
Preregistration Link Information Southwest Wisconsin Technical College
Empire Photography has been photographing our commencement ceremonies for many years. Each graduate is photographed as they receive their diploma and a solo portrait is also taken after they exit the stage. Proofs will be sent to graduates and their families within 48 hours of the ceremony. Click on the link below to preregister your email address so you can receive your complimentary proofs quickly. Your commencement is a once-in-a-lifetime moment so don't miss out! If you have any questions, please email Empire Photography at email@example.com.
Graduation proofs available here.
Update your contact information such as address, personal email, and phone number before leaving campus. Your account will remain active for approximately one year after you graduate.
Please remember to access your grades on your MySWTC account. Grades should be available to you one to two weeks after the semester ends.
Transcripts will be checked for graduation requirements. Your diploma will be mailed to the address listed on your Program Completion Application approximately three to four weeks following graduation.
Please Stay In Touch with Southwest Tech!
Like us on Facebook to see graduation photos and videos!
Find out about alumni events by staying connected. Please email your current information and success stories to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who have secured employment related to their program may "job out" with instructor approval. This allows these students to be employed while concurrently completing course requirements. Requests are evaluated case by case, and the following guidelines must be observed:
- All pertinent forms and course completion requirements must be finalized between student and instructor, who may request confirmation of an employment offer with the employer.
- Students are excused from class attendance but not from completing class assignments.
- Jobbing out cannot occur until the last four weeks before graduation.
- Complete the following Job Out Form
The Dean's List is published at the end of each semester. Students qualify for high honors if they are full-time (a minimum of 12 credits that apply toward a degree) and earn a GPA of 3.5 or greater for the semester.