100% ONLINE PROGRAM FOR WORKING ADULTS!
The 100% online Leadership Development degree program is designed to meet the needs of working adults with four-week classes that start every month. The program provides leadership development training and education for individuals currently employed in supervisory positions or those who wish to prepare themselves for such a position.
- Earn prior learning credit for documented work experience.
- Enter at any time during the year. No need to wait for a semester to begin.
- Select courses that fit your schedule and your lifestyle.
- Meet with an advisor to plan your individualized course schedule.
Is This Program for You?
Are you currently employed, with an interest in moving into a leadership position? Do you enjoy coaching and working with people, both individually and in teams? Do you possess good communication skills and enjoy problem solving? Leadership Development may be a great fit for you.
Are you currently employed, with an interest in moving into a supervisory position? Do you enjoy coaching and working with people, both individually and in teams? Do you possess good communication skills and enjoy problem-solving? Leadership Development may be a great fit for you. The online Leadership Development program is designed specifically to meet the industry demand for trained leaders in all types of organizations. The program content provides training and education for individuals presently employed in leadership positions or those aspiring to move into a leadership position.
Career/Job Titles for someone with leadership training include supervisor, manager, production manager, human resources manager.
Students entering the Leadership Development program should:
- Enjoy coaching and working with people both individually and in teams
- Possess good communication skills
- Enjoy solving problems
The online Leadership Development program is designed specifically for individuals who work full-time with a minimum amount of discretionary time available to pursue educational goals. This allows you to learn at a faster pace to earn your degree faster.
- Associate degree, requiring a minimum of two years to complete.
- Each one-credit technical course runs for four weeks.
- Students select the number of courses to complete within that timeframe.
- Courses rotate on a set schedule so students know when a course will be offered.
- The student becomes an active partner with the instructor and other learners in a collaborative, online learning experience.
- Concepts introduced in courses are applied in the workplace.
- General education courses are delivered completely online in either eight, twelve or sixteen week sessions.
- Prior learning credit is available for documented work experience.
- Curriculum & Costs
Technical courses are listed below on a Fall/Spring Semester basis. However courses will be offered in four-week rotations during the semester in which the course is listed.
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Requirements for Online Students
Chromebooks are not compatible with some testing features within Schoology (our Learning Management System). Southwest Tech recommends not to use Chromebooks for classes.
Cable/broadband/DSL internet with a minimum speed of 1.5Mbps. You can test your local internet speed at www.speedtest.net. Run this test from the location you will be working from.
Higher bandwidth and speed will greatly assist you in your online learning environment, so where possible, a faster internet speed is recommended. Cable internet tend to be faster than DSL or 4G wireless, although DSL or 4G wireless may also work depending on other factors. Your computer, other software (such as anti spyware), other users on the system, and system configurations can all influence your ultimate line speed. Many instructors use videos as a part of their instruction, as well as synchronous meeting times (Skype, Adobe Connect, etc). Having an acceptable internet connection speed will be important to your success.
Convenient access to a computer that has one of the following current versions of Internet Browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- An active e-mail account (all Southwest Tech students are issued a free email account)
- Word processing software (Microsoft Word is the recommended word processing software at Southwest Wisconsin Technical College). Free Microsoft Office software is available to all Southwest Tech students at http://products.office.com/en-us/student
- Availability of 10-15 hours per week for each 3-credit course
- Self-motivation and self-discipline
Helpful Academic Background
- Business Education
- Social Studies
- Technical Education
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Utilize quality strategies and tactics
- Explain the function of data in quality
- Identify internal and external stakeholder needs
- Manage a quality project
- Apply quality tools
- Apply effective leadership skills
- Demonstrate coaching skills
- Develop effective teams
- Apply motivation strategies
- Assess situational needs
- Describe characteristics and traits of effective leaders
- Demonstrate self-management skills including time and stress management
- Apply Human Resource policies and procedures
- Write a job description and job specifications
- Create a targeted recruitment plan
- Identify selection criteria
- Design a training plan
- Apply a performance appraisal plan
- Explain the importance of conformance with applicable employment laws
- Perform leadership development functions to achieve organizational objectives
- Develop a plan to facilitate change
- Identify staffing needs
- Establish action steps to meet goals and objectives
- Utilize the control function to monitor performance
- Recognize and promote a safe workplace
- Select and apply appropriate means of communication to communicate effectively within an organization
- Utilize quality strategies and tactics
- Career Opportunities
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Leadership Development Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options: