The golf industry is demanding, requiring more multi-disciplined, business minded professionals than ever before. Southwest Wisconsin Technical College's associate degree program exceeds the industry's demands in the most efficient way possible, by providing a focused education and accredited associate's degree in golf course management in only two years.
Our golf course instructor, Scott Kennedy, is one of the most qualified PGA Professionals in the business. His thirty years experience make him an expert in innovative curriculum that focuses on business management, game improvement, modern teaching methods, cutting edge technology, and sound interpersonal skills.
Is This Program for You?
If you enjoy leading people in pursuit of a unified goal, have a passion for the game of golf, and possess enthusiasm for exceptional guest service, then a career in golf course management may be for you.
Students entering the Golf Course Management program should:
- Enjoy working with people.
- Have a basic knowledge of the game of golf.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Have good oral and written communication skills.
- Exhibit flexibility and creativity.
- Have good organization skills.
- Associate degree, requiring a minimum of two years to complete.
- Day classes.
- Summer internships.
- Financial aid available.
- Classes start in August.
- Transferable to four-year colleges and universities.
- Curriculum & Costs
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- High school agriculture, science, computers, and math.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Manage facilities and staff.
- Plan and administer a budget.
- Analyze enterprise costs.
- Coordinate golf shop operations.
- Oversee food and beverage operations.
- Utilize computerized records management.
- Manage equipment operations.
- Direct turf and non-turf management practices.
- Use effective communication, math, and human relations skills.
- Create and implement a marketing plan.
- Comply with regulatory and legal issues.
- Assist with pest management costs and controls.
- Career Opportunities
Opportunities for employment in the golf industry are excellent, with Wisconsin having more golf courses per capita than any other state. Entry-level employment positions may include:
- Golf Course Manager
- Clubhouse Manager
- Golf Course Superintendent
- General Manager
- Head Pro
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information on Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
At any time, you may Request Credit for Prior Learning.
Golf Course Management Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
Course # Course TitleChallenge Exam
10-006-122 Pest Management Wisconsin Certified Pesticide Applicators 3.0 License 10-325-101 Golf Course Operations PGA Membership 10-325-103 Pro Shop Management PGA Membership 10-325-104 Club Financial Management PGA Membership 10-325-106 Golf Course Internship I-Inside Operations PGA Membership- 10-325-107 Soils, Conservation, and Fertility GCSAA Membership 10-325-109 Integrated Turf Management GCSAA Membership 10-325-110 Golf Course Design and Renovation GCSAA Membership 10-325-113 Golf Course Equipment Repair GCSAA Membership 10-325-114 Techniques for Teaching Golf PGA Membership 10-325-118 Golf Course Irrigation Systems GCSAA Membership 10-325-127 Turf Grass Horticulture GCSAA Membership 10-801-136 English Composition 1 CLEP Test - College Composition 10-801-196 Oral/Interpersonal Communication 10-804-107 College Mathematics CLEP test - College Mathematics 10-809-172 Introduction to Diversity Studies