Is This Program for You?
Do you have strong analytical and technical skills? If the challenge of creating a computer network strategy, troubleshooting problems, and installing hardware and software appeals to you, this program may help make your career dreams a reality.
Students entering the Network Specialist program should:
- Possess an analytical and creative ability.
- Like to solve problems and be persistent.
- Be able to think logically.
- Have good basic reading and math skills.
- Have good oral and written communication skills.
- Associate degree, requiring a minimum of two years to complete.
- High school articulation courses accepted.
- Financial aid available.
- Classes start in August and January.
- Modified plan available.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Develop effective interpersonal skills.
- Use effective electronic, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate and adhere to ethical policies and procedures within the regulatory environment.
- Implement computer networks.
- Select appropriate devices for each network based on design criteria.
- Implement client systems on a network.
- Troubleshoot the communications network when problems arise and develop a plan for a solution.
- Install and upgrade hardware and software.
- Maintain the organization's communication network.
- Assist with network design, testing, and documentation for implementing a communication network.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic communications network electronics.
- Install, support, and maintain a Local Area Network (LAN) and/or Wide Area Network (WAN).
- Implement and maintain a voice communications network.
Graduates are prepared for positions in a wide variety of organizations and businesses. Opportunities for employment exist in accounting firms, banks, schools, hospitals, insurance companies, manufacturing firms, and government agencies as:
- Network Administrator: Designs, implements, and maintains local area and wide-area computer networks needed for the efficient functioning of the firm
- Network Assistant: Assists the network administrator with all aspects of the firm's information network(s)
- Information Technology Support: Works directly with end users to maintain and troubleshoot information systems