200-Hour Jail Academy starts May 24, 2021.
In the 200-Hour Jail Academy you will learn:
- Key concepts and requirements underlying county jail operations and an introduction to the role of the jail officer as a corrections professional.
- Issues covered include the purposes and goals for county jails, and the role of state and national standards for jail operations.
- The professional responsibilities of a jail officer.
This course also features an overview of the curriculum and premises of the basic jail officer training course. This 5-week course is open to both pre-service and hired jail officers and is offered one time per year during the summer.
Please verify that you have met the following minimum qualifications as set forth in Wisconsin State Statute and Chapter LES 2, of Wisconsin Administrative Code:
- I am or will be at least 18 years of age by the completion of training.
- I possess a general educational development diploma or am a high school graduate who has completed a secondary education program through a public school, private school, an equivalency diploma program, or home education program within the United States or its territories.
- I have not been convicted of a federal felony, or of any offense which if committed in Wisconsin could be punished as a felony.
The cost of the Jail Academy is approximately $940 + CPR books + uniforms.
Steps for Entering The Jail Academy
Gather, Download, and Complete Information
Before Applying, download and complete the following documents. You will be asked to supply these completed documents within the application.
- Application for Enrollment (DJ-LE-327)
- Student Authorization for Release of Information (DJ-LE-310)
- WI Criminal History Record Request (DJ-LE-250)
- Medical Assessment (DJ-LE-332)
- Transcript Requirements (High School)
- Verification of Age and Citizenship Form (DJ-LE-322)
- Jail Officer Code Of Ethics
- Professional History Report
Application Deadline February 5:
Schedule Your Interview
The manditory interviews will be held Friday, February 18, 2021 virtually or if possible at Southwest Tech's Public Safety Complex, Room 2008 in Fennimore.
Once you have applied, passed your interview, and passed the fitness test you will be allowed in the Academy.
- Mandatory Academy Orientation: TBD
- Academy Start Date: May 24, 2021
- Academy End Date: June 29, 2021 (tentative)
The Academy is scheduled to run 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday.