Law Enforcement 720 Academy 2020
This (720) hour Law Enforcement Academy is designed for those seeking a law enforcement career in the State of Wisconsin. Southwest Tech’s premier Academy delivers the criteria established by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Training and Standards Bureau. The training instructors are a combination of educators and active or retired law enforcement officers. The training is delivered via lecture, group discussion, hands-on exercises, and scenario participation.
Completion of the Academy prepares you for certain Law Enforcement fields in the State of Wisconsin.
An informational meeting will be held on the following dates and times at UW-Platteville, Ullsvik Hall Criminal Justice Conference Room:
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 12:00pm - 1:00pm AND 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 3:00pm - 4:00pm AND 5:00pm - 6:00pm
An informational meeting will be held on the following dates and times at Southwest Tech Public Safety Building Room 2007:
- Thursday, November 14, 2019, 10:00am - 11:00am
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 6:00pm - 7:00pm
If you would like to join electronically via Zoom meeting for the above sessions at SWTC Public Safety, please email email@example.com.
Application Deadline: January 6, 2020
- Mandatory Fitness Test: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 6:15am-8:15am and Thursday, January 16, 2020, 6:15am-8:15am, Pioneer Activity Center, UW-Platteville. REGISTER NOW for your time of choice. Review the Physical Readiness Training Handbook and watch this video: https://vimeo.com/195826724.
- Mandatory Interview: February 2020
- Mandatory Academy Orientation: April 2020
- Anticipated Academy Start Date: May 22, 2020
- Anticipated Academy End Date: September 29, 2020
Please verify that you have met the following minimum qualifications as set forth in Wisconsin State Statute and Chapter LES 2, of Wisconsin Administrative Code:
- I am a citizen of The United States of America (applicable to law enforcement academy students only).
- I am or will be at least 18 years of age by the completion of training.
- I possess a valid Wisconsin driver's license or such other valid operator's permit recognized by the Wisconsin DOT as authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in Wisconsin (applicable to law enforcement academy students only).
- I possess a general educational development diploma or am a high school graduate who has completed a secondary education program through a public school, private school, an equivalency diploma program, or home education program within the United States or its territories.
- I have earned at least 60 associate degree level college credits or higher, or an associate degree or higher from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the US Department of Education. Completing Southwest Tech's Criminal Justice Studies associate degree fulfills this requirement. (Law enforcement and tribal law enforcement officers who do not meet this requirement at the time of employment, have 5 years from their date of employment to meet this requirement.)
- I have not been convicted of a federal felony, or of any offense which if committed in Wisconsin could be punished as a felony, and has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (18 U.S.C. §922(g)(9)), or I have been granted an absolute and unconditional pardon.
If you have any questions regarding the Academy and the application process, contact Kris Wubben, Academy Director, at 608.822.2706 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more detailed information, view the 720 LE Academy Learning Objectives document, created by the Wisconsin Department of Justice.
(For informational purposes only)
- Application for Enrollment (DJ-LE-327)
- Student Authorization for Release of Information (DJ-LE-310)
- WI Criminal History Record Request (DJ-LE-250)
- Medical Assessment (DJ-LE-332)
- Online Driver Record Request
- Transcript Requirements (High School)
- Transcript Requirements (College)
- Birth Certificate (DJ-LE-322)
- Firearms Release of Information
- Law Enforcement Code of Ethics
- Emergency Contact Information
- Physical Readiness Assessment
Comments from Academy Graduates:
"I liked the small class sizes and the Instructors who have a passion for their jobs."
"The Academy Instructors are all very knowledgeable, it just made me want to spend as much time with them as possible and learn everything I could."
"No fluff, straight to the point and practical."
"I appreciated the competency of the Instructional Staff and their passion for the topics they taught. Plus the firsthand knowledge and experience of the subject matter, which makes learning it that much more enjoyable too."