720 Hour Law Enforcement Academy - JANUARY 15-JUNE 28, 2024
This (720) hour Law Enforcement Academy is designed for those seeking a law enforcement career in the State of Wisconsin. Southwest Tech’s premier Academy delivers the criteria established by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Training and Standards Bureau. The training instructors are a combination of educators and active or retired law enforcement officers. The training is delivered via lecture, group discussion, hands-on exercises, and scenario participation.
Completion of the Law Enforcement Academy makes you eligible for Law Enforcement certification in the State of Wisconsin.
Please verify that you have met the following minimum qualifications as set forth in Wisconsin State Statute and Chapter LES 2, of Wisconsin Administrative Code:
- I am a citizen of The United States of America.
- I am or will be at least 18 years of age by the completion of training.
- I possess a valid Wisconsin driver's license or such other valid operator's permit recognized by the Wisconsin DOT as authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in Wisconsin.
- I possess a general educational development diploma or am a high school graduate who has completed a secondary education program through a public school, private school, an equivalency diploma program, or home education program within the United States or its territories.
- I have earned at least 60 associate degree level college credits or higher, or an associate degree or higher from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the US Department of Education. Completing Southwest Tech's Criminal Justice Studies associate degree fulfills this requirement. (Law enforcement and tribal law enforcement officers who do not meet this requirement at the time of employment, have 5 years from their date of employment to meet this requirement.)
- I have not been convicted of a federal felony, or of any offense which if committed in Wisconsin could be punished as a felony, and has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (18 U.S.C. §922(g)(9)), or I have been granted an absolute and unconditional pardon.
The cost of the Law Enforcement Academy is approximately $5000 + First Responder and CPR books + uniforms.
Steps for Entering The Law Enforcement Academy
The 2022 Law Enforcement Academy has ended.
Process will open again June 1, 2023.
2024 Academy Timeline
The Law Enforcement Academy is a competitive process, applying does not guarantee acceptance.
- Applications Open: June 1, 2023
- Applications Close: August 31, 2023
- Fitness Test: September 15, 2023 with retakes on October 6, 2023 (if needed)
- Oral Interviews: November 3, 2023
- Mandatory Academy Orientation: December 1, 2023
- Anticipated Academy Start Date: January 15, 2024
- Anticipated Academy End Date: June 28, 2024
A finalized academy schedule will be provided at orientation. Classes will run Monday through Friday with approximately 80% of the classes being held during the day and 20% in the evenings. Classes will be held at the Southwest Tech Public Safety Complex in Fennimore, and/or the Southwest Tech Platteville Outreach Site.
The Law Enforcement 720 Academy is designed to lead to a license for Law Enforcement Officer in the state of Wisconsin. More licensure information can be found on the Program Accreditations and Licensure page.
Comments from Academy Graduates:
"I liked the small class sizes and the Instructors who have a passion for their jobs."
"The Academy Instructors are all very knowledgeable, it just made me want to spend as much time with them as possible and learn everything I could."
"I appreciated the competency of the Instructional Staff and their passion for the topics they taught. Plus the firsthand knowledge and experience of the subject matter, which makes learning it that much more enjoyable too."