Is This Program for You?
If you are patient, creative, dependable, and have good communication skills, stimulating the physical, emotional, intellectual, and social growth of young children may be the rewarding career you are looking for.
Students entering the Child Care Services program should:
- Like working with children.
- Be able to communicate well with children and adults.
- Have a caring attitude.
- Be dependable and organized.
- Have good reading skills.
- Technical diploma requiring a minimum of one year to complete.
- Day classes.
- High school articulation and college transfer courses accepted.
- Financial aid available.
- Classes start in August.
- Advanced standing for early childhood experience may be granted with Southwest Tech instructor approval.
- Complete First Aid/CPR with AED.
Additional Practicum Requirements
- Health Physical (must use SWTC forms) including a 2-step TB Skin Test the first year and a TB test each year after.
- Annual Background Check: $12.
- Security swipe card: $5 (money is refunded when the card is returned).
- Program Name Tag: $3.
- CPR/First Aid is a graduation requirement for all students.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to be able to:
- Relate knowledge of child development to practice
- Create relationships with children, family and the community
- Apply observation, documentation and assessment strategies
- Implement developmentally appropriate teaching and learning activities
- Demonstrate professionalism
- Follow health, safety and nutrition practices
Technical Skill Attainment (TSA)
This TSA scoring guide
will be used to document your attainment of technical program outcomes for the Child Care Services Degree.
To meet the requirements on the scoring guide, you will be asked to draw upon the skills and concepts that have been developed
throughout the program and are necessary for successful employment in your field. Results will be used to inspire continual
improvement of teaching and learning in Wisconsin Technical College System. In addition, this assessment will provide feedback to
you about your performance.
With the rise in two-career households and single parent families, the job market for trained childcare workers continues to flourish. Besides entering the job market, individuals who complete this program and decide to continue in the Early Childhood Education associate degree program will be given advanced standing for the completed courses. Graduates of this program may find jobs in the following types of occupations.
- Child Care Teacher: Takes responsibility for planning and implementing developmentally appropriate programs for children in a child care setting
- Child Care Teacher's Assistant/Teacher's Aide: Assists the classroom teacher at the day care, pre-school, or elementary level
- In-home Provider/Nanny: Responsible for full- or part-time childcare in the child's home.
- Family Day Care Provider: Provides developmentally appropriate programming for eight or less children in provider's home.
- Preschool Teacher: Teaches in a program licensed by the Department of Health and Family Services.
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
Career Pathways offer new ways to achieve your education goals. Instead of studying just one program, the Career Pathways model links related academic programs in a sequence. Each program offers direct job preparation AND a path to the next higher academic program. Learn More
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Child Care Services Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options: