Agronomists today are involved with producing food, creating healthier food, managing environmental impact of agriculture, and extracting energy from plants.
As a student in the Agribusiness Science & Technology - Agronomy program, you'll learn about:
- plant breeding
- soil science
- pest control
- precision farming
- sustainable agriculture
Is This Program for You?
Students entering the Agribusiness, Science & Technology - Agronomy program should:
- Have a strong attention to detail.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Be willing to try new and innovative ideas.
- Have a good understanding of agriculture.
- Enjoy science and mathematics.
- Curriculum & Costs
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- High school agriculture
- Communication skills
- Math courses
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
Students must have eye wear protection (safety glasses with side shields or wrap around safety glasses over prescription glasses) and must meet OSHA Z87.1 or greater while they are conducting operations that are deemed hazardous in nature. These glasses can be purchased at the College Bookstore.
At the completion of this program, students are expected to be able to:
- Analyze opportunities in agribusiness
- Apply relevant technologies
- Demonstrate professionalism skills within the agriculture career areas
- Apply agronomic principles and practices
- Career Pathway
Career Pathways offer new ways to achieve your education goals. Instead of studying just one program, the Career Pathways model links related academic programs in a sequence. Each program offers direct job preparation AND a path to the next higher academic program.
- Career Opportunities
Graduates of this program will be qualified to perform custom application of chemicals, accurate scouting of field crops, and properly setup agricultural equipment in production agriculture. The demand in this field is expected to remain high for several years in such jobs as:
- Custom Application Specialist
- Crop Scouting Specialists
- Soil Sampling Specialists
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Agribusiness Science & Technology - Agronomy Tech Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
Course # Course Title Challenge Exam
CLEP Credential Portfolio 10-006-113 Precision Ag Technologies 10-006-116 Introduction to Soils 10-006-121 Agribusiness Computer Applications 10-006-124 Pesticide Applicator Training Pesticide Applicator 10-006-125 Crop Protection Products CCA Certification 10-006-126 Pest ID & Mgt/Crop Scouting CCA Certification 10-006-127 Soil Fertility and Fertilizers 10-006-160 Plant Science 10-006-180 Animal Science 10-006-197 Agribusiness Internship 10-070-101 Field Application Equipment 10-801-195 Written Communication College Composition CLEP test would also be accepted for credit. However, the challenge exam is the preferred method. 10-801-196 Oral/Interpersonal Communication 10-804-107 College Mathematics CLEP test - College Mathematics