Operating a profitable dairy farm today involves learning to work smarter, not just harder. Successful dairy operations are built on solid herdsperson skills, effective management skills, and the use of technology.
As a student in the Farm Operations & Management you will learn:
- Basic Livestock nutrition
- Reproduction and Artificial Insemination
- Basic Dairy Cattle Health
- Milk Quality
Is This Program for You?
Students entering the Farm Operations & Management - Dairy program should:
- Enjoy working with animals.
- Enjoy working outside in all types of weather.
- Manage their time effectively.
- Be willing to work hard and learn.
- Have good reading skills.
- Have good communication skills.
- Technical Diploma – requiring a minimum of one year to complete
- Classes are offered daytime, face to face, and on campus
- Fall or Spring Start
- Credit for prior learning may be available
- High school articulation courses accepted
- Curriculum & Costs
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- High school agriculture
- Communication skills
- Math courses
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
Students must have eye wear protection (safety glasses with side shields or wrap around safety glasses over prescription glasses) and must meet OSHA Z87.1 or greater while they are conducting operations that are deemed hazardous in nature. These glasses can be purchased at the College Bookstore.
At the completion of this program, students are expected to be able to:
- Analyze opportunities in agriculture
- Apply relevant technologies
- Demonstrate professionalism skills within the agricultural career areas
- Manage dairy cattle
- Career Pathway
Career Pathways offer new ways to achieve your education goals. Instead of studying just one program, the Career Pathways model links related academic programs in a sequence. Each program offers direct job preparation AND a path to the next higher academic program.
- Career Opportunities
Graduates obtain positions in a wide variety of specialty areas, and there is a vast amount of potential for those who have mid-management or upper-management career aspirations. The demand in this field is expected to remain high for several years in such jobs as:
- Dairy Cattle Assistant Herds Person
- Parlor Labor
- Assist Calf Manager
- A.I. Technician
- Cattle Feeder
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
- Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Farm Operations & Management - Dairy Technician Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options:
Course # Course Title Challenge Exam
CLEP Credential Portfolio 10-006-121 Agribusiness Computer Applications 10-006-146 Milk Production Sanitarian Cerficate or DHI Tester 10-006-150 Farm Animal Reproduction AI Ceritification 10-006-180 Animal Science 31-804-305 Applied Mathematics College Mathematics CLEP Test would also be accepted.