Is This Program for You?
The program includes a broad mix of agriculture-related classes related to farm operation and management. Educational outcomes include developing technical skills in: the operation, maintenance and repair of agriculture equipment used in tillage & planting, crop protection products application, foraging, harvesting, precision agriculture practices, and overall farm operations.
Students entering the Farm Operations & Management - Farm Ag Maintenance program should:
- Enjoy working outside in all types of weather.
- Manage their time effectively.
- Be willing to work hard and learn.
- Have good reading skills.
- Have good communication skills.
- Technical Diploma – requiring a minimum of one year to complete
- Classes are offered daytime, face to face, and on campus
- Fall or Spring Start
- Credit for prior learning may be available
- High school articulation courses accepted
Admission and Program Requirements
- Submit Application and $30 Application Fee
- To make sure your classes are the right fit, we consider any previous college credit you've earned, Accuplacer or ACT scores, high school GPA, or an assessment at your registration session. Submit High School Transcripts, College Transcripts, and Test Scores to: Southwest Tech, Attn: Admissions, 1800 Bronson Blvd, Fennimore, WI 53809
Helpful Academic Background
- High school agriculture
- Math courses
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid pending approval from the Department of Education.
- Estimated cost for each semester can be found under the Curriculum tab. Please note that costs are approximate and are based on the current academic year.
- Please discuss additional fee questions with the program advisor or instructor.
Students must have eye wear protection (safety glasses with side shields or wrap around safety glasses over prescription glasses) and must meet OSHA Z87.1 or greater while they are conducting operations that are deemed hazardous in nature. These glasses can be purchased at the College Bookstore.
At the completion of this program, students are expected to be able to:
- Analyze opportunities in agriculture
- Apply relevant technologies
- Demonstrate professionalism skills within the agricultural career areas
- Operate and maintain farm equipment resources
Graduates of this program will be qualified to exhibit skills in performing repairs, maintenance, and setup of production agricultural equipment. The demand in this field is expected to remain high for several years in such jobs as:
- Farm Shop Maintenance Technician: technician that performs repairs and maintenance on agricultural equipment
- Farm Machinery Controller: performs setup of harvesting machinery based on crop along with checking key components for maximum efficiency
- Farm Equipment Operator: operation and control of farm tractors, implements, & heavy equipment
- Farm Maintenance Specialist: responsible for items as preventative maintenance and repairs on tractors, harvesters, and agricultural implements
Southwest Tech's Career Connections Center offers Services to assist students looking for job placement.
Career Pathways offer new ways to achieve your education goals. Instead of studying just one program, the Career Pathways model links related academic programs in a sequence. Each program offers direct job preparation AND a path to the next higher academic program. Learn More
Credit for Prior Learning
Experience Pays! You've Been There... You've Done That... Let's See If You Can Get Credit For It!
Credit for prior learning gives you opportunities to earn credit for college-level knowledge that you have already acquired. This may be the result of work or volunteer experiences, certifications, apprenticeships, military training, extensive self-instruction, or professional development. Credit for Prior Learning affords you the opportunity to accelerate the completion of your educational goals.
For more information or to request Credit for Prior Learning see our Credit for Prior Learning page.
Farm Operations & Management - Farm Ag Maintenance Courses that may have Credit for Prior Learning options: